Wednesday, March 14, 2007

SoHo's "GodBuns"


Hello intrepid graffiti fans! I'm sorry it's been so long since my last post. Life has been keeping me very busy as of late.

Today's Polaroid comes from Manhattan's SoHo neighborhood. It can be found on Thompson Street between Spring and Broome Streets.

I happen to work in SoHo, and lately I've noticed lots of tags around the area saying "GodBuns". While I was walking on my break one afternoon, I noticed this particular wall and it interested me a great deal. On this wall there is a mural of three women in bikinis. There are gaps between the three women, as you can see in the Polaroid, and one or more graffiti artist has chosen to decorate the empty space. There are several other skulls painted on this wall in different colors, similar to the one shown in the Polaroid. There are also what appear to be drink cups, which you can see half of in this Polaroid. There is an "MF" tagged next to the skull, which may or may not be an artists' signature. It is confusing because "GodBuns" is tagged so close below. I am not sure that the skulls are "GodBuns"'s work, however, since most the rest of his tags are just the words "GodBuns."

Years ago, SoHo was an area where artists congregated. They lived there and had studios there. The rent in SoHo is now far too high for most people to live and is now inhabited by the posh and wealthy. It is refreshing to me to see this kind of tagging going on, because it is a reminder of SoHo's roots. SoHo is not just about overpriced boutiques and cafes and million-dollar lofts. It was once a place where fantastic works of art were created and ideas were shared.

That being said, SoHo still does have a lot to offer. For those of you who love to shop, there are plenty of stores and boutiques in the area, ranging from cheap to high-end. I recommend visiting on a Sunday afternoon and going to West Broadway between Spring and Broome, one block up from the location of this week's Polaroid. There are many vendors who set up along this stretch of SoHo and sell original paintings, photographs, sketches and other works of art.

If you get hungry, I recommend you visit Ben's Pizzeria, located on the corner of Thompson and Spring. It's a little hole in the wall, but the slices there are absolutely delicious. I recommend the fresh marinara and mozzarella. I've never had better.

Well, that's it for this week. Please feel free to let me know about any tags you'd like for me to visit or any interesting graffiti sightings you've had!

1 comment:

nigga lover said...

theres a wicked street art collective on prince & greene that will blow you away