Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Spring Street


Welcome back graffiti fans. Sorry for the delay in posting - I got caught up with life again!

Today's Polaroid comes from Spring Street in SoHo. It's not a typical posting for this blog, but it really piqued my interest, so I figured why not? This is about street art, and this certainly counts as street art!

I noticed this piece on Spring Street when I was walking to work. It's a piece of wood, painted red, then spray painted with stencil. It says "Your TV Wants To Own You." It is screwed to a sign post. This is a pretty busy part of SoHo, and I was surprised to see that this subversive sign has been up for more than one day.

What is of particular interest to me is the circle in the top left of the sign. Though you can't see it, it's a sticker for the Museum of Modern Art's Queens outpost, P.S. 1. Now, I am unsure whether or not this was a later addition by a passer by or if this sign is a piece of guerilla advertising for P.S. 1. This is where you come in, dear reader. If you notice any other signs similar to this throughout the city, please examine them and see if there's anything related to P.S. 1.

That's all for this post, but expect lots more soon - I promise I won't leave you standing out in the cold anymore!

Until next time!

2 comments:

Kalynn said...

I have seen a bunch of street art that has some sort of TV theme, I know its officially turn off tv week maybe this is a comment on that.

Lexie said...

Oooh, thank you for letting me know about that Kalynn. Maybe that's what it's for!